How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 21442
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dog ate some chocolate, what do I do

Customer Question

dog ate some chocolate, what do I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago?

How much did he have (grams, ounces)? What kind of chocolate?

How much does your dog weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 hour, maybe 2 oz, dried hot chocolate packets, 10 lbs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Can you tell me if they were made with milk or dark chocolate? Or are they made with cocoa powder?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably a mixture of in to some packets of sugerless and other instant hot chocolate mixes.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, now I do have one more question since you noted sugarless packets. Any xylitol in these?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
packets are shredded....not sure of all ingredients but what we can read, don't see xylitol.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again,

I understand and thank you for checking that its not likely in there, as it is very toxic for our dogs. Though unfortunately even if it was a mixture of chocolates, with your dog being so small, this is a severe toxicity. Therefore, we could see severe GI upset with vomiting and diarrhea; but also possible tremors, breathing changes, heart rhythm changes, collapse and seizures.

So, we want to act fast. Since it has been an hour, we can still induce vomiting. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this is a high dose chocolate ingestion and the risk of harm is significant. So, we'd wan to use the above now. If you cannot get your dog to bring this back up or are struggling at all, we'd want him urgently to the local vet for symptomatic care and IV fluids to avoid any harm.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via

Please take care,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.