Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog 6 lbs ate 1 dulco lax tab. What's going to happen?

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mia 1yr 2months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mia?
Customer: Maltese schizo mix, that's all I can offer. Very small breed.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The DulcoLax contains bisacodyl - a stimulant laxative that works directly on the gastrointestinal tract and so systemic toxicity isn't likely. One 5 mg tablet is recommended for small dogs in need of this type of laxative. Such a small dog, however, may become crampy, suffer abdominal pain, and possibly diarrhea and nausea after ingesting a tab and so inducing emesis by administering one measuring teaspoon (5 mL) of 3% hydrogen peroxide between Mia's cheek teeth and cheek would be prudent. She should vomit within 15 minutes of administration; if not, the same dose should be given once again. Inducing emesis is predicated upon Mia ingesting the tablet within the hour. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?