How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 20400
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 7 yr Rottweiler had a large lump in s throat 2 weeks ago.

Customer Question

My 7 yr Rottweiler had a large lump in his throat 2 weeks ago. We took him to the vet, they did blood work and checked his thyroid which they said was normal. After a few days, the lump was gone. He now seems lethargic, not eating very much, vomited after eating today and has been sleeping a lot more than normal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Theresa,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }


Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Theresa,

Sorry to hear Tucker is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. I do wonder if the lump you saw in his throat was not an abscess of some kind and despite the fact it went down you could now be seeing a high temperature related to a generalised bacterial infection. This would certainly be typical of the symptoms you are now seeing but please understand other diagnosis are also possible.

2. If these symptoms continue then your best plan is to have your vet check him over again ASAP. Normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if Tucker is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get your dog to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and make sure he is taking fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Tucker's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

I am sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet.


Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tucker. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo