Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

It's time dog's monthly dose of Trifexis but she was bred 2

Customer Question

It's time for my dog's monthly dose of Trifexis but she was bred 2 weeks ago. Is it safe to give her this med?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: Can I give trifexis to my pregnant dog?
JA: We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. I've been a breeder for over 19 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

My personal thoughts are that I try to not give my dogs any medication during their pregnancy. In a case like this, I would switch to an alternative medication for fleas and parasites until she has delivered. The following site lists various flea preventatives and indicates if they are safe for use in pregnancy.

http://www.mammothpetsupplies.com.au/choice/dog-flea-control-comparison-plus-tick-heartworm-an/292

Now Trifexis has been given to pregnant dogs before but since you really can't tell how many pups a dog has until they are almost a month pregnant then it might be difficult to determine if there might have been more puppies if they had not been medicated. I usually continue my heartworm preventative with my dogs but suspend all other medications and just deworm her soon after delivery and restart flea preventative regiment.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi JACustomer,

I'm writing to see how things are going with your dog. I see you haven't even read the answer I supplied quite some time ago and hope your dog's pregnancy is now confirmed.