Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has reddish stains around s eyes and mouth since he

Customer Question

My dog has reddish brown stains around his eyes and mouth since he came home from being boarded 2 weeks ago. I brought him to the vet who was no help. He gave me some eye drops "'to try if I wanted" the stains do nothing t wash off I keep reading conflicting reports about red yeast any thoughts?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Charlie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: He is a 9 year old perkapoo
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the two main causes of those stains are yeast (Malassezia) and porphyrin staining. Porphyrins are chemicals in saliva and tears which will stain the fur brown/red but if such staining hadn't occurred in the previous 9 years, it doesn't make sense that they would now unless there was something in the water or feed when boarded that increased the porphyrin level in Charlie's saliva and tears.. Yeast, then, are most likely and easy to confirm by performing a cytology (microscopic exam for abnormal numbers of both yeast and bacteria) on Charlie's skin.

You can also see how an anti-yeast shampoo containing both chlorhexidine and either miconazole or ketoconazole affects Charlie. These shampoos are available over the counter in pet/feed stores, Charlie's vet hospital or online such as here: https://www.amazon.com/Malaseb-Shampoo-Bayer-Healthcare-473/dp/B00061MP5G

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.