Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog ate a dead mouse that we believe that the mouse died

Customer Question

My dog ate a dead mouse that we believe that the mouse died from being poisoned. Is there a need for concern?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: a dead mouse
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Early this morning he had a seizure for the first time. He is a Chihuahua about 3 year old. About 10 pounds
in weight.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

It is a concern if the rodenticide contained bromethalin which can cause seizures within hours after exposure. The anticoagulant rodenticides don't cause uncontrolled bleeding for up to 4 days after exposure and it's unlikely that there would be enough of that type of rodenticide present in a mouse to be harmful to your dog in any event.

Do you know the ingredient and when he might have ingested the mouse? Has he normalized following the seizure which would make such a poisoning very unlikely?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.