Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My lab is almost 14 years old (one month from it). This is…

Customer Question
My lab is almost 14...
My lab is almost 14 years old (one month from it). This is second night in a row of her throwing up and it's the second time it's been orange and had her dinner in it. She's been throwing a few times in the last month. She used to eat twice a day, but for about the last or two month she'll only eat once a day. She's on pain meds, when we can get her to take it. Is this a doctor visit time or is it still just bile like I've been reading online?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
6/10/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 years ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Thanks for your question.

It sounds like vet visit time to me. The intermittent vomiting over the course of the last month is enough concern on its own. As well, we see that bile is yellow and not orange. Couple this with the reduction in her appetite (and this is a Lab that seldom ever have a reduction in their appetites unless something is wrong) and I become worried that there may be an underlying condition that needs to be addressed and treated. At her age, we can see that pain meds can certainly change their appetite so that may have something to do with it. That said, at 14 it would be better to know for certain than to assume all was well when something more concerning was going on.

If she has not had blood work performed in the last few months, I would prioritize this (and request that a pancreatic profile be performed if nothing is seen to be sure that this is not pancreatitis). Your vet may also want to couple her oral meds with a bland diet or even gastric protectants or an antacid to help her body to better cope with the secondary symptoms of the meds.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy May. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy