Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 9 year old dog has a large hard lump on her head that

Customer Question
seems to get bigger and...
My 9 year old dog has a large hard lump on her head that seems to get bigger and then smaller
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ranger she is part Australian cattle dog she is eating and not showing any signs of anything being wrong
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ranger?
Customer: She started getting this lump around December we thought she just no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
6/9/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. G., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear your dog is having this problem.

Has she been seen by your vet for this lump in the past?

Does the lump seem to be under the skin or on top of the skin?

Is the lump red and does your dog seem to be scratching at it?

Are you able to post a clear detailed picture of the mass for me to look at?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The lump is under the skin and is as hard as a rock . I haven't taken her to the vet yet. It isnt red and seems to get larger as the day goes on and smaller in the morning.

I see.

Does it change in size every day?

How long has the lump been present?

It is very hard to determine what a mass actually is without a good physical exam and taking a sample from it. Typically something that you are describing like this fits more with a follicular cyst. These can fill up and get larger or smaller at any time. These are also benign.

I recommend a visit to your vet to have them do a fine needle aspirate (FNA). This is where they stick a needle in the mass and take a sample to look at under the microscope. This will given them a good idea of what is present and if anything actually needs to be done. Any vet can do this and it is a very quick procedure and test.

This is probably not an emergency situation, so I don't think you need to head to an ER vet tonight, but I would probably have the lump checked out tomorrow or Monday just to make sure it is just a cyst. It could be a tumor of some sort, however that just doesn't seem to fit what you describe. Again, the only way to know what you have present is to have the lump tested.

Please let me know if I can help you any further. I wish you both the best.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian