Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a 2 year old Pitt. He is struggling to poop and when

Customer Question
he does it is watery...
I have a 2 year old Pitt. He is struggling to poop and when he does it is watery and has some slime and blood in it. This has been going on for a couple days now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kiko
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Keiko?
Customer: A new treat he has been getting is cheese. I would say he is given about a slice a day.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
6/9/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did this start after starting the cheese treat?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No the cheese treats started a few months ago but I will admit it has gotten more frequent to the everyday about a week or 2 ago.
He is him self for the most part. Sometimes I see he looks sad but for the most part he is normal.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Sorry, 2 more questions

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is the feces dry or hard?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Last week my daughter noticed slime casing on some poop and while picking up the yard i found a couple more. I noticed yesterday morning he could not poop in the afternoon when i was home and out with him I noticed him struggle and walked toward me a little funny like poop might have been stuck on his behind so when I checked I found a small amount of blood but enough to concern me.
This morning I watched him as he struggled, I checked and more blood, I looked for the poop and the poop was very small compared to his normal size and it had slime and blood with a little blood on his behind.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it was normal texture other then the slime.

Friend, when we see slime (mucus) with blood in the feces it is a sign of inflammation in the colon. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. The straining is secondary to the inflammation. Possible causes are: Constipation (when the feces is hard), intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, etc.

I would recommend having family veterinarian check his stool for intestinal parasites as initial screening test. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.

2- Change his diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet. Increase his water intake by offering low sodium chicken broth.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with family veterinarian for a fecal analysis.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do I add the chicken broth to his water?

You could, yes. Make sure it is low sodium.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I went to three stores. No one carries the fortiflora. One store suggested goat milk. Is this a good substitute

I am sorry the pet stores you went didn't carry fortiflora, did they have another probiotic?

No, do not give goat milk or dairy products it could make the inflammation worst.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all had normal Probiotic.

You could have bought a different brand.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I put off the goat milk. I will buy the probiotic tomorrow

Fair enough.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian