Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Our dog is healthy and very playful. But she started licking

Customer Question
recently. She doesn't lick herself...
Our dog is healthy and very playful. But she started licking recently. She doesn't lick herself. It seems like she is licking her mouth. What to do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
6/7/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Does she have any drooling?

Would you describe it as possible lip smacking?

Any redness around the lip area?

Is she eating relatively normal?

Has she been on antibiotics recently?

Hi again,

I was hoping to get some responses back first but don't want you to go without an answer either.

Licking the mouth usually indicates excessive salivation and is usually a sign of mouth pain, nausea or sometimes a seizure. Check your dog’s mouth for tartar on the teeth, possibly red gums, darkened teeth, broken teeth or something caught between the teeth or gums. If you find something stuck, try and remove it. If it is bad teeth, you can give him Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen.

You should also check just under your dog’s jawbone for a swelling and under your dog’s tongue for a swelling. This is where some of your dog’s salivary glands are located. If you find a swelling here, it’s possible your dog has an accumulation of fluid near the salivary gland called a sialocele which is causing your dog to salivate more. This condition does require your dog to be seen as soon as possible. You can read about it here:

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/sialocele.htm

If you suspect it may be due to nausea which is a likely cause, you can try some Pepto-Bismol which can be given to a dog at 1 tsp per 5 pounds every 6 hours for upset stomach, gas, or diarrhea.

If she becomes uncomfortable, you should take her into the vet. If it is possible that your dog ate something toxic such as chocolate, cocoa mulch, antifreeze, medications they will need to see a vet immediately.

You can read more about excessive salivation on the following website:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/ptyalism-hypersalivation-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Now some dogs can have an allergic reaction to various things such as new treats, plastic, etc which can cause redness around the mouth and itchiness and even nausea. This can also lead to drooling due to the nausea which can lead to a skin dermatitis around the mouth area which becomes itchy. This can lead to more lip licking and even to a dog rubbing their face on everything. This is often described as a lip fold dermatitis. You will want to keep the area clean and dry. Benzoyl Peroxide wipes are also effective for cleaning the folds as well and to keep bacteria in the area down. It can be challenging to keep it dry but will help if you can keep it dry.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/pyoderma-skin-fold-in-dogs/1061

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.