PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She is wheezing a lot and has a little bit of a runny nose.

Customer Question

She is wheezing a lot and has a little bit of a runny nose. This with mild wheezing a couple days ago, and has gotten progressively worse.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maple
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maple?
Customer: She had horrible diarrhea on wednesday and thursday of last week. I gave her a chicken and rice diet until saturday evening, when I gave her her normal food. She was constipated from thursday evening until last night, and pooped normal healthy poop 3 times since then (once last night, twice this morning). She is now eating normally, but does seem especially hungry.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Is Maple on any medications at this time?
2) What breed is she?
3) How old?
4) Has she recently been boarded? groom? at doggy daycare? any playdates with other dogs?
5) Any coughing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No meds, she is a beagle mix of some sort around 4 years old. She used to go to the dog park a lot but hasn't been for about 3 weeks. Hasn't been around other dogs other than passing in my apt building and on the street. There is a little cough at the end of a wheezing fit.

If it's only been 3 weeks, the possibility exists for this to be kennel cough but we more commonly see allergies this time of year. If her symptoms worsen or develop into a "honking" cough, she needs to see your vet promptly.

Otherwise, we can try some antihistamine therapy at home. I, personally, like Zyrtec the best as it seems to work best for almost all dogs. The dosing information can be found here and you'll need her weight: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/

Again, if this does not improve or she worsens, it's time for a veterinary visit. Your vet may wish to take some tracheal and thoracic x-rays to be sure that she does not have any problems with her airway complicating the matter, will want to rule out pneumonia, etc. Typically symptoms with these types of afflictions are worse than minor wheezing and a slight cough.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in. How is Maple feeling?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy