Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog is drooling and seems lathargic : Max & he's about 12

Customer Question

My dog is drooling and seems lathargic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Max & he's about 12 weeks old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: Not that I can think of. It's been an especially hot day today but we've had air conditioning on in our home.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Drooling can be caused by several issues including recent toxin exposure, periodontal disease (bad dental problems), a hypersensitivity reaction (like an insect bite or sting), nausea from something foreign being ingestd, to name a few.

So, drooling can indicate a very serious concern. At only 12 weeks of age, I would really consider a ER vet visit to ensure he is okay. I would not recommend anything over the counter for a dog of this age, and I would be cautious taking a wait and see approach. Not much room for error at only 12 weeks of age.

Hope that information helps