Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog is just 8 pounds, 8 weeks old. We brought m home

Customer Question
My dog is just 8...
My dog is just 8 pounds, 8 weeks old. We brought him home Saturday. He seems to have kennel cough.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bean :)
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bean?
Customer: I don't think so. He did have a bordatella vaccine a week ago so I was thinking it might be a reaction to that. He is from a shelter where they had about 200 pups.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
6/6/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Kit,

Sorry to hear your pup is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. If he has recently come from a shelter where there are lots of dogs then you are almost certainly dealing with kennel cough, although you cannot rule out a reaction to the Bordetella vaccine as this sometimes occurs. { But is rarely dangerous }

2. In the adult dog kennel cough is almost a trivial sort of disease as the symptoms are rarely too serious and in anycase it will usually pass in 10 days to 2 weeks even if you do nothing.

3. However in young pups like yours which are commonly quite delicate and may not have a mature immune system most vets would probably say that a course of antibiotics would be a very wise precaution. So best have him checked over by a vet as soon as you can arrange this, a regular hours consult should be fine as long as your pup does not deteriorate too much in the meantime. Sadly there is little that can be done on a home remedy basis.

4. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your pup's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** my thought but I am also trying to help him to feel better tonight so doing honey. Did not know if any homeopathic remedy might help, or any nutrition.

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. Since kennel cough is an infectious disease { Syndrome really } caused by a number of organisms, some viral and some bacterial then a nutritional approach is not going to help as this will not affect the causal agent in a short period of time, if at all. Of course the pup should be on a high quality plane of feeding in any case.

2. In terms of homeopathy I am aware that some the clients at my clinic have used Bryonia 6c 3 to 4 times daily for a week and reported success, homeopathy of course is a very gentle therapy and very unlikely to make things worse. This sort of therapy is hard to assess in kennel cough in adult dogs as the chances are they will improve on their own in any case and sometimes this starts within a week.

For a pup it may be safest to use homeopathy as a complement to antibiotics rather than a sole treatment.

Regards,

Dr Scott