Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Our 15 1/2 year old poodle who is on heart meds, lasix,

Customer Question

Our 15 1/2 year old poodle who is on heart meds, lasix, tramadal and has been on antibiotics for copd. He was recently prescribed a bronco dialalor as
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the poodle's name?
Customer: well. He is breathing quite heavily. Is there something we can do to calm him down. I also have tranquilizers for another dog. Sigh.....
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Well?
Customer: His name is Maxie
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Lynn, if Maxie is breathing quite heavily at this time - particularly if his respiratory rate is over 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest - it would be prudent to double his Lasix dose and administer it every 8 hours until his vet can attend to him once again. Always reach for the diuretic when a failing heart may be decompensating. I would stop his bronchodilator in case he's reacting adversely to it - agitation and panting can be seen in that case. Please don't administer a tranquilizer which could be dangerous for such a patient. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.