Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a minature schnauzer and i think maybe for about a month my dog has been farting a lot also his stomach...

Customer Question
hi i have a minature...
hi i have a minature schnauzer and i think maybe for about a month my dog has been farting a lot also his stomach is very tight
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Schnookie and he is 6 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Schnorkel?
Customer: ughm i dont know really what im looking for he plays with our other dog he also eats a lot the family gives him food every now and then
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
6/4/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has his stomach been right?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its been tight for about a month maybe in a half I've noticed no gaging, no vommiting, no lip licking his gums are pink and black, ugh i think his gums are moist he doesn't have any discomfort issues when i press on his stomach and no he's couldn't have eaten anything like that... maybe a chemical we have a pool, is it possible from being around pool chemicals i don't think he could've eaten a chemical though. Could it just be because he is overweight?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hes also had a lot of gas but this week its not bad like the week before

Thank you,

I am glad to hear that he hasn't any discomfort with his belly. Now it will take me a moment to type out my full response, but I will do so now and post in full momentarily.

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No i don't want a phone call

Hi again,

No worries, please disregard that request as it is automatic.

Now I do have to say that this chronic tight/tense stomach does make me concerned. It could but fat you are feeling, but if it is very firm we'd be concerned about possible fluid build up, enlarged organs, or growths. So, we do need to tread with care here even if we can rule out emergency causes (ie bloat, etc).

With that in mind and since a degree of the tightness could be related to gas, I'd note that we can try to soothe that and see if the belly softens. In regards ***** ***** the gas itself, you can use Gas x (simethicone) at a dose of 1mg per pound of his body weight body weight every 6-8 hours to reduce these signs. As well, if he is prone to this, then regular supplementation of activated charcoal (which can be bought as a powder to mix into food or can be purchased in special pre-made dog biscuits) can be of benefit to bind the gases and reduce this for him.And hopefully reduce that belly tightness.

Furthermore, since the gas does sound chronic and since it can cause distension, we could also consider putting Schnookie on an OTC canine probiotic (ie Fortiflora, Benebac). These will ensure that the good gut bacteria are at optimum and help reduce any gas producing ones that don't belong.

Finally, if we treat this and find that belly remains tight, then I would advise having a check up +/- ultrasound with his vet. That way we can make sure it is just fat and there are none of those other concerns lurking and taking up space in his abdomen.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you know we have weeds in our back yard and theres a lot of goat heads, like stickers and they get on his hair, and he bites them off i don't know if could've eaten one but could that maybe have enlarged in his stomach

Hello again,

That would be unlikely. If he had eaten those, we'd expect GI upset, belly discomfort, and vomiting for your lad. These are likely innocent in this case.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok then thank you for the information... Im going to head to the vet tomorrow so they can examine him. In case I'm missing something but i will get that stuff for his gas

You are very welcome,

That sounds like a good plan of action and hopefully we can nip this in the bud for him. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian