Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

He is 7 rescue dog. Great animal I can't put weight on m I

Customer Question
He is 7 rescue dog...
He is 7 rescue dog. Great animal I can't put weight on him I don't want him husky but would love not to see his bones
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Nothing he plays runs is well behaved. He can not put on weight and keep it. He is very active though. When I first got him I noticed a strange walk come to find out he had wobbles I think I said that right. He went to LSU
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Ues
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: He came with duke
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He has been they are u friends and my father in law was a vet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
6/4/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) What breed of dog is Duke?
2) How much does he weigh?
3) What is your ideal weight for him?
4) What food is he eating currently and how much is being given daily (please provide into in measurable cups such as you might use for baking)
5) Is his stool normal in consistency and color?
6) Do you have a picture of his body condition?
7) Is he neutered or intact?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great Dane, about 120lbs He eats loyal nutrena 30%protein all that he wants and about 4cans. Stool is normal to loose. And he is neutered.

Hi, JACustomer. Thanks for the reply.

I didn't get all of the information I needed in the original reply and have some additional questions. This will help me to determine what Duke might have going on.

1) What is your ideal weight for him?
2) On the nutrena, you stated that he's getting 4 cans, but I cannot find that this is a canned diet. Did you mean cups? If so, this is about 1/2 of what he should be receiving for a dog his size. Can you clarify? Is there a feeding "can" that you use, perhaps? If so, how many cups are in each can? I need this information to determine how many calories Duke is taking in daily.
3) Have you had a GI profile performed on him to be sure that he's properly absorbing his food?
4) Do you have a picture of his body condition?

Checking in, do you still need help with Duke?

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian