PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Our 14 week old pup has been diagnosed with distemper. He

Customer Question

Our 14 week old pup has been diagnosed with distemper. He has pneumonia two weeks ago -- was in the hospital received IV fluids, antibiotics and oxygen. Since this weekend he's been back to his usual playful self, he's eating well (actually he seems hungry all the time) no bowel issues -- so we are thrown by the diagnosis today from the vet. Are there varying levels of the virus? When can we feel out of the woods? Do we need to prep our kids for losing him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, Leah. Thanks for your question.

A very slim margin of dogs will survive distemper with treatment. If your veterinarian performed titers, chances are that this is a correct diagnosis. That being said, we often see lasting effects from distemper. So, while you may not need to prep your children for losing Ranger...it'd be wise to talk to them about what to look for in the future. Ranger may wind up having seizures in the future, could have neurological problems, etc. You can learn more here: http://www.petful.com/pet-health/distemper-in-dogs/

If Ranger has been lucky, he will have survived distemper without lasting effects. Again, this is a very small margin of dogs so he's quite fortunate if this has happened. For the time being, I wouldn't be concerned about losing him unless more major concerns develop or he goes back downhill as far as his health. However, I would discuss what the adverse symptoms might look like so that 1) your children are prepared and 2) they don't panic of they do see it happening.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in, JACustomer, How is Ranger doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ranger. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy