Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Throwing up first started with her food in it and after

Customer Question
about 3 times it changed...
Throwing up first started with her food in it and after about 3 times it changed to clear liquid she has thrown up about 8 times doesn't seem to be sick but throwing up a lot of times
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Don't think think so just started late this evening
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zoey and she is 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zoey?
Customer: She is drinking water I thought she was hungry after she threw up so I fixed some bland chicken gave her a really small portion and she threw it back up
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear Zoey is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

This sort of thing is always a gamble of course so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check her over without delay. That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog which some owners use before getting a vet involved, these can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug of some sort. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut and live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A teaspoon twice a day is fine for small dogs ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger breeds.

4. Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side.

5. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Zoey's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks she seems to be resting now

That sounds encouraging but I will be about if things change ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

Of course I am very glad to have advised you and hope that Zoey has been unaffected by her experience. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?