Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My older dog is having diarrhea with some blood in it JA:

Customer Question
My older dog is having...
My older dog is having diarrhea with some blood in it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** I'm not very sure of his age he was a rescue but I know he is blind and deaf and his missing teeth
JA: How old is Crisco?
Customer: Not sure
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Crisco?
Customer: Not sure only had him about a month he was at a Humane Society and had been put on a euthanize list
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
5/25/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for giving this guy a home! You have definitely helped out a dog that many would have over looked. Thank you! Do you feel that he's otherwise still eating and drinking well? How long has the blood been present in the diarrhea? How long has the diarrhea been going on? Has he recently had new treats or a change of diet?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
His diarrhea was dark yesterday and now it looks like it has blood in it today he doesn't seem lethargic and he's not changed his eating habits really and yes he is still drinking
I'm sorry I went off line there late last night. That is good that he's eating the same and that he's is still drinking. Is there any chance you can take a picture of the stool? Just a little blood in the stool could be due to some colon irritation. A lot of blood could be something more. If the stool was black, then it would be concerning that maybe a stomach ulcer could be present. For a lot of dogs, diarrhea can happen with a little blood in it if they eat something that just throws the intestinal tract off. Diarrhea can be frustrating in the sense that it a lot of times isn't a critical situation, but a very messy one. Could intestinal parasites be involved or Giardia? These are also considerations. I tell owners that the best course of resolution for a situation like this is to take a stool sample and their pet to their vet. They can evaluate with a physical exam and a fecal exam to see if there is a specific issue to treat. IF nothing specific is found, a lot get started on an antibiotic called Metronidazole and bland food to see if that resolves the situation.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian