Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

It is the middle of the night and my dog is pacing around

Customer Question

It is the middle of the night and my dog is pacing around and panting like crazy. It has never happened before. What can I do right now?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: It is the middle of the night and my dog is pacing around and panting like crazy. It has never happened before. What can I do right now?
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She is panting!
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is your dog eating normally?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is your dog having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: Not that I know of
JA: OK. No obvious problems there. How is your dog behaving differently?
Customer: She is standing right by me and will not lay down or sit down and keeps panting!
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cookie--age not really known but we think almost 7. We got her as a puppy and it has been 6 years
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cookie. She is not lethargic
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cookie?
Customer: We clearly have a vet, I want to know what to do right now to help her (and me) get some rest
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please tell me if you still need help. Cookie is either uncomfortable, anxious, or both but her behavior doesn't localize where she hurts or tell us why she's anxious. Have new symptoms arisen that might help in that regard?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?