Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog puked white foam this morning. I cleaned it up and

Customer Question
went to work when I...
My dog puked white foam this morning. I cleaned it up and went to work when I came back she puked a lot more white foam. Now she is shaking uncontrollably and breathing heavily.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I saw.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She's been drinking lots of water.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: And looks like she didn't eat her food.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My dogs name is Niña. She's 8 years old.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she is drooling a lot.
5/24/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I am sorry that your girl Nina has vomited foam several times today and is shaking uncontrollably and breathing heavily.Drooling is likely a sign of nausea.Shaking can be from fear, the effect of a toxin or fever, but more likely in this case it is due to feeling nauseous and electrolyte imbalances from vomiting several times today.Likewise breathing heavy can be secondary to poor oxygen exchange but can also be caused by feeling nauseous or blood acid/base imbalances from organ failure or vomiting repeatedly.Vomiting foam simply is a mix of air and stomach/esophageal mucous made when she retches, it is not indicative of any disease process but tells us she is quite nauseous. Causes of vomiting include bacterial, viral or fungal infections, eating something she should not including a foreign body (rubber band, bones, or toy piece) or toxin, or inflammatory bowel disease. Other possibilities are internal organ (kidney or liver) disease that cause a build up of waste products which the organs normally remove that can irritate the gastrointestinal tract leading to bleeding or pancreatitis. Infiltrative cancers like lymphoma or an abdominal mass compressing the stomach or intestines are possible as well. I know that she is thirsty because she is vomiting so much, but if she is drinking and then vomiting she is only making things worse so pick up her water for now.Because she has been sick all day, is still very nauseous and is vomiting even water ideally she would see a veterinarian now. She is probably quite dehydrated. If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but if she's not improving quickly she should see a veterinarian for an examination, some diagnostic testing, intravenous fluids and injectable medication to settle her stomach. To try and settle her stomach at home you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours These are acid reducers and may help settle her stomach and get her feeling better and hopefully stop her vomiting. These are very safe and can be given for several days if necessary. I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow her stomach to settle after the acid reducers. If she stops vomiting in a couple hours when you give her water make sure it is in small amounts only. If she drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. You can also offer ice cubes to lick. To get some electrolytes in you can offer her a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water. If there is no vomiting for 12 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get additional fluids into her. If she refuses that you can offer a little meat baby food. If she refuses both then don't push it, she needs hands on veterinary care. But if things go well and she does eat and doesn't vomit feed her the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in her regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert her back to her regular diet. If she continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower then normal temperature (less then 99F), has a tense painful belly or if she refuses to eat she should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian