Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My foster dog shredded sos pad I don't know if he ate any he

Customer Question

My foster dog shredded sos pad I don't know if he ate any he is 55 pounds
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Is he going to be ok
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: No where yet
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Nt yet
JA: Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: It just happened a few hours ago
JA: Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: I wasn't here
JA: How is the dog behaving differently?
Customer: He was jumping all over me when I got home excited
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Finn 7 mo
JA: How old is Finn?
Customer: 7m
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Finn?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.So the thing we worry about when a dog tears apart or ingests part of an SOS pad is the possibility of an intestinal obstruction. This is what happens when a dog eats something too big or bulky to pass through the digestive system the normal way and gets caught up in a loop of intestine. This causes the digestive tract to grind to a halt, with all the food and such backing up in the body. When this happens, the dogs needs to have the obstruction surgically removed as it can be fatal if left untreated.Since we're not positive if he ate it, the absolute best thing to do is to have his vet take a peek at him and shoot a quick x-ray. That way you'll know for positive if there is pad in his stomach and where it's located. If it's still in the stomach itself, the vet may opt to sedate him and use an endoscope to remove it before it gets into the intestines.I wish there was an at-home treatment here, but the x-ray will give you the absolute truth about whether Finn ate it or just tore it apart.I hope this helps.