Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Last Thursday I found an eaten up bottle of Advil at my house.

Customer Question

Last Thursday I found an eaten up bottle of Advil at my house. I have no idea how many were in the bottle, but I assume a lot.
I brought my dog to the vet immediately where they gave him and iv for two days and put him on 20 mg of Pepcid Ac every 12 hours.
They released him Saturday morning as the blood tests were fine. At home, I noticed he had been drinking a lot more than normal and peeing a lot more than normal.
I took him back to the vet Monday morning and again blood results are fine and they said to bring him back in a couple of weeks.
It is Wednesday morning and he just vommited.
Could the vet's test be missing something?
Thank you very much.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Does his urine look quite watery/dilute?You noted that the bloods were fine, but did they test urine at any point?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,I have not heard back from you yet, but did want to leave my thoughts on your lad's situation.Based on your question and his current signs, I’d be concerned that we may have some adverse effects from the Ibuprofen lurking. While bloods are very good at detecting kidney issues, they don’t usually pick them up until there has been >75% kidney cell (nephron) damage. So, even if those bloods were normal, I would strongly advise having the vet check your lad’s urine specific gravity +/- a urine urea:creatnine ratio. The first can be done on any free catch urine sample and tells us if there is any dilution (a sign of reduced kidney function. Otherwise, the second test is better at diagnosing and determining the severity of early stage damage but would require your vet to take a urine sample directly from the bladder. Depending on their findings of those tests, we’d know if there was underlying mild to moderate kidney damage from this that just may being missed by the blood test. And if there is, then we’d want them to start kidney supportive drugs to support his function (and hopefully improve it over time if the kidney cells are just inflamed or damaged from this toxicity). Finally, the vomiting is a concern too. It could be secondary to kidney issues but it could also still represent an ulcer from the Ibuprofen. So, we’d want to make sure to continue the Pepcid but may need to discuss adding in a gastroprotectant (ie Sucralfate) +/- stronger anti-nausea medication if needed to counter the vomiting and ensure that stomach is able to heal if it has been damaged by the Ibuprofen. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello,How is everything with your wee one?Dr. B.