Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

18yr.old, large-"pit "/german sheppard mix. Rear legs keep

Customer Question
18yr.old, large-"pit bull"/german sheppard mix...
18yr.old, large-"pit bull"/german sheppard mix. Rear legs keep buckling and she's not able to get up easily, even with help. She tends to snap when helped. Usually happens on bare floors, occasionally on the rug.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: She's my sons dog, we are "boarding" her for him because she can no longer climb stairs. "babe"
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Lack of appetite. Does drink water. tendency to "roam" aimlessly.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
5/16/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Is Babe on any medications currently?2) Any past history of medical problems?3) Do you know when she last bad blood work performed or x-rays?4) How is her appetite?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1) no meds. 2) no medical problems ever 3)never had either 4) for the last month, extremely poor
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my son fears he may have to "put her down"
How long has she been with you/will she be with you overall?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2 years this month. He's owned her 18 years
Thank you for the additional information. It will take me about 10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how the website will compensate me for helping you.
The first thing to mention is that Babe is a very old girl considering her size, it's great that she's made it to this old age. Of course, we do see quite a few medical conditions arise when dogs are this age too.When you describe that her rear legs keep buckling, she cannot rise easily, tends to snap and really has the worst time on bare floors she's showing just about every sign there is of having difficulty with the joints in her hips (back may be contributing some too). There is a degree of muscle wasting that we see in senior dogs that may very well be exacerbating these symptoms but a consideration that might be made for her is that she could very well benefit from having canine-safe NSAIDs prescribed and possibly some pain medication along side them, as well. It's very common for us to use medications like Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Metacam, etc. in senior pets to help with arthritis. I imagine that part of the reason that her appetite is poor is that she's dealing with so much discomfort. There's always a chance that at her age she has an underlying medical condition like diabetes, kidney or liver compromise, etc. which may be contributing to her poor appetite and general feeling of being unwell. I would recommend, at very least, getting her started on some NSAIDs +/- pain medication as prescribed for her needs and her size. Blood work would also be worthwhile.Because of her age and her condition, especially her hip-health, it would not be a bad idea to consider euthanasia in the future if she continues to have problems. It sounds like your son has worry here, although he shouldn't feel guilty about having to elect this route for a dog. Euthanasia is a very simple and kind procedure that involves using a medication that promptly stops the function of the heart, but does so in a manner that is not painful. If you reach a point where you feel she's suffering, this is the best approach to be made. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse