Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

My 11 year old toy poodle is bleeding from her vagina. JA:

Customer Question

My 11 year old toy poodle is bleeding from her vagina.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the toy poodle?
Customer: She has digestive issues and only eats prescription food. She was bleeding from her anus when this happened. An ultrasound was not completed at that time. We tried the food and it worked. I am a senior citizen on a fixed income so expensive tests are not an option for me.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I am very sorry that your girl has vaginal bleeding. There are many reasons to have blood in the urine or bleeding from vulva.We often think of an infection but also crystals or stones in the urinary tract, masses in the vagina, or in the urinary or reproductive tract or clotting disorders are possible causes. If she is an unspayed female endometritis or a pyometra are possible causes as well, though less likely if she is feeling fine otherwise. Are her gums and tongue white, pale pink or bubble gum pink? If they are nice and pink then she likely hasn't lost enough blood to make her anemic and that is a good sign. Is she bleeding only when she passes urine or does the bleeding ever seem independent of passing urine?If the bleeding is only when she passes urine then concerns would be a genitourinary tract infection, crystals or stones in her urinary tract, a clotting abnormality or a mass in her urinary or reproductive tract. If the bleeding is ever independent of her passing urine the concerns would be trauma to her reproductive tract (rough breeding), a mass in her lower reproductive tract, or a clotting abnormality. She does need to see her veterinarian.If she were my patient I'd start with a urinalysis with culture and radiographs of her abdomen to look at her kidneys and bladder for signs of stones and the size and shape of her reproductive tract. We may need an abdominal ultrasound to identify some urinary calculi and masses in her bladder or reproductive tract. If she had pale gums signifying significant blood loss then I would want to check her clotting function too. If money was very tight and there were signs of infection on the urinalysis then an antibiotic prescription for 10 to 14 days would be reasonable to start. If I saw lots of crystals or abnormal looking cells on the urinalysis I'd warn the owner that things may be more serious.And I'd recommend a recheck of her urine at the end of the antibiotic therapy. If there was still blood then radiographs or an ultrasound of her bladder/kidneys is needed.If this is a reproductive tract infection I highly recommend that she be spayed. All you can do for her at home is encourage fluid intake to flush out her urinary tract. Add water or low salt beef or chicken broth to her food or feed her canned food to encourage eating and increase her fluid intake.Give her ice cubes. Offer her fresh water frequently.And make sure she gets out frequently to urinate. If she is straining but unable to pass urine, is vomiting, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense, painful abdomen with gentle pressure, or her gums become very pale it is time for emergency veterinary care. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bleeding is very light. She does not have problems with urination. No problems with her abdomen. It is less and less everyday and almost gone. She is spayed and seems very comfortable. I am giving her water and wet food. It appears to be going away now. I will take her to vet for check up tomorrow.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to hear that her bleeding is less, but this is certainly puzzling.It's possible that she passed a bladder stone that irritated her bladder walls and urethra (thus the bleeding) but now that it has passed and the irritated areas are healing the bleeding is less.Are you sure she is spayed? Some dogs are very clean and have very light bleeding with a heat such that owners may not even notice it. In some cases as they age they can have a heavier heat, or have trouble keeping themselves as clean and so owners notice. Either way I am glad that she is getting plenty of fluids and will see her veterinarian. Please let me know what they think after her examination.