Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

By putting a dog with no signs of congestive heart failure

Customer Question
and an enlarged heart...with a...
by putting a dog with no signs of congestive heart failure and an enlarged heart...with a heart murmur of 5/6 on enapril and furosemide for a week and then suddenly taken him off, could that push the dogs heart into heart failure?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/11/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again So sorry to learn of your dog's problems, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Basically the answer is no, in my experience for a dog with a 5/6 murmur to be on these drugs and then stopping them after a week would be very unlikely to precipitate the transition into clinical congestive heart failure. 2. Grades 5 and 6 heart murmurs are considered to be the most serious grades in the dog. Heart murmurs at this level will mostly likely have to be treated with medications. Murmurs at this high level will lead to clinical congestive heart disease sooner rather than later and this is what is likely to have happened in your dog's case.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning congestive cardiac failure ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.