Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He is a miniature yorkie and his albumin is less than 1 and

Customer Question

He is a miniature yorkie and his albumin is less than 1 and his white blood count is 34 they are giving him anti-biotics but now he has diarrhea and he has 2 bladder stones I have been to our vet and an emergency vet and I feel like he is dying
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no he has been healthy up to this point he had bladder stones removed back in august also
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I must say that I share your concern about your lad's situation.If he has such elevated white blood cells, then infection is suspect. But more worrying is that albumin level, which could be in part be related to the diarrhea and in part due to the infection since it is a negative acute phase protein (which means the body makes less when there is infection/inflammation). This is dangerously low and when this parameter is <15, there is real risk of spontaneous fluid leakage from the blood vessels into the body cavities (chest, abdomen) and into the lungs.With this all in mind, this is a very worrying situation and I am concerned that your lad's prognosis is guarded. If your vet hasn't already, he may need to be hospitalised. And if that albumin is genuinely that low, he may need to have a protein or plasma transfusion. Both can raise his blood protein levels and help counter the side effects of that low albumin. Furthermore, the focus of infection would need to be addressed (ie IV antibiotics). As well, with the albumin protein level being so low we may need to also check for other causes for this ie kidney or liver issues). And if these were issues as well, we'd need to address them too to help give your lad a fighting chance in this serious situation. Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me &ndash; I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )