How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Lefler Your Own Question
Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 19831
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Jane Lefler is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate approx 10 oz milk chocolate morsels, weighs 25 lbs...she

Customer Question

My dog ate approx 10 oz milk chocolate morsels, weighs 25 lbs...she has vomited but has no other symptoms
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Abbie, 9 years old, Boston terrier
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Abbie?
Customer: No, everything else seems fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. 10 ounces of milk chocolate for a 25 pound dog can cause vomiting, rapid heart beat, tremors and even seizures so this is something you should be concerned about. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is what causes the toxic response. Normally we would suggest inducing vomiting if it had been ingested recently. You can induce vomiting with 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% per 10 pounds, which can be repeated 10 minutes later if it does not induce vomiting. However, your dog is already vomiting as a result of the ingestion. Signs of theobromine toxic poisoning should appear within 1 to 4 hours of ingesting the chocolate. These include vomiting, increased thirst, diarrhea, weakness, difficulty keeping balance, hyperexcitability, muscle spasm, seizures, coma and potentially death from an abnormal heart rhythm. The following websites will give you’re the approximate amounts of chocolate that you will need to worry about based on the size of your dog and the type of chocolate. you can consult these pages to determine if a toxic amount has been ingested. http://www.vspn.org/Library/misc/VSPN_M01325.htmhttp://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_chocolatetoxicosis.htm There is also an interactive chart available as well here:http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/10/pets/chocolate-chart-interactive The interactive page indicates that this amount will cause the symptoms I mentioned initially. I would be inclined to have your dog seen by your vet so supportive care can be given. Your vet can administer charcoal to absorb the toxins and let it pass through your dog’s system with less absorption and monitor your dog’s vital signs until the danger has passed. You also should be aware of the fact that the high fat content in chocolate can also trigger pancreatitis in some dogs and you may wish to take your dog into the vet to avoid this condition developing and definitely keep an eye out for symptoms of this.. You can read about pancreatitis here:http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx Pancreatitis is also considered an emergency condition and given the amount of chocolate ingested, there is a good chance she may develop pancreatitis as well. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jane Lefler