Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 3 year old Italian mastiff is showing signs of weakness

Customer Question

My 3 year old Italian mastiff is showing signs of weakness in his legs, stepping very carefully and his eyes are twitching. His body is shaky at times too.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes. No feet wounds. He was carrying on like Normal just a little bit ago.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dooley.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dooley?
Customer: Tail
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. If Dooley is demonstrating nystagmus (eyes flicking back and forth) he's suffering from a vestibular (balance) disorder which can also cause head tilt and ataxia ("drunken sailor"). Most of these disorders are idiopathic (unknown cause) and remiss unaided within days to a couple of weeks. Peripheral vestibular disorders involve the inner and middle ears. Central peripheral disorders involve the cerebellum and brainstem. Dooley's vet ill need to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam in an attempt to clarify which type of vestibular disorders exists in Dooley. Many generalist vets will refer such a patient to a specialist veterinary neurologist (please see here: www.acvim.org) who is better equipped to perform this type of exam. May I have an update on Dooley, please?Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. We took him to the Emergency Vet last night and they accessed him and his symptoms are conducive with eating a stimulant of some sort. He responded very well to fluids and a muscle relaxer (first dose was enough to subside them) and is still being monitored by his regular vet and continuing to take in IV fluids.
Thank you for the good update. I'm pleased to hear that he was well-attended to. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.