Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has cataracts in one eye - she is a escue and I adopted

Customer Question
her this way a year...
My dog has cataracts in one eye - she is a escue and I adopted her this way a year or so ago - i had her checked and am saving money for her surgery. Recently I noticed the same eye very red. On top of that last week we were playing ball and it went right into her bad eye. Last night i noticed the same eye is now enlarged the eyeball is swollen and she is uncomfortable - what could it be???
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Molly is about 5 and a Cocker Spaniel
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: She still has a lot of energy and plays normally but I believe she is hiding pain or discomfort on the eye
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/7/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. G., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can. Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I am very worried
What seems to be the problem area? Is the pink part swollen (the conjunctiva)? Is the white part red? Is your dog pawing at the eye?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No pawing - the white part is red - the whole eye ball is swollen
I see. This sounds like we have some pretty significant conjunctivitis. This could be related to infection or due to allergies or a physical injury such as a corneal ulcer. Are you able to get to a vet today? One thing you can do first is give benadryl (1mg per pound of body weight every 8 hours) to help. Your vet can stain the eye to look for any ulcers on the eye and check for dry eye. This is most likely not related to a cataract in the eye.
Does all of this make sense?Is there anything else I can help you with?
I see. This appears more like possible glaucoma. If you have not already taken your dog to the vet I would as soon as possible to have eye pressures checked. If it is glaucoma, typically topical drops are done to treat this. If there is a mass or abscess behind the eye then surgery would be the next step. Regardless, I highly recommend a vet visit as soon as possible.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any feedback?
I am going to opt out so another expert can help you further.
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
JACustomer, did you have additional questions regarding the symptoms with your pet's eye?
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse