Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

How can I help my 11 year old Corgie with kidney disease

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. What symptoms is your Corgi showing? 2. What treatment options have you tried so far? You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was in the vet hospital a month ago for dehydration. She was having vomiting and loose bowels. Her blood test showed a high count of something that is indicative of kidney problems. The vet pretty much has given up but I just can't give up yet.Thanks,Kay
Hello again Kay, So sorry to hear about your Corgi, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. The down side is that unfortunately there is not much in terms of cure that can be done with dogs with progressive chronic kidney disease, it is much the same disease as in humans, and with humans often the only solution is dialysis or transplant, both of which are not usually available to dogs. 2. However that is not to say you should give up, for example there are special prescription diets for dogs with kidney disease which your vet can supply, this has to be your best option. Here is a link to this sort of product, check out the customer's reviews at the bottom of the page. : LINK 3. Other than a special diet there are drugs which your vet can prescribe which can help a little eg Fortekor and some vets also suggest a a good vitamin/mineral supplement. Fluids give IV or sub-cut may also help when necessary.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how your Corgi is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning kidney disease ... Please get back to me and let me know what you thought of my suggestions.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?