Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 9 year old boston who is very active became very weak and

Customer Question
was hobbling around last night...
my 9 year old boston who is very active became very weak and was hobbling around last night. She is holding up her open and is tending not to put weight on it. She has been having bouts of shivering and we just took her temperature and it was 99.1.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ebby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about EBay?
Customer: she's extremely healthy. We have never had any health issues with her.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/1/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Ebby seems uncomfortable and is favoring one of her legs and having bouts of shivering.Normal rectal temperature in dogs is 99.5F to 102.5F so she doesn't have a fever.I'm not sure which leg she is favoring as "her open" doesn't make sense. I suspect autocorrect changed what you really wrote.Shivering is often a pain response and since she doesn't have a fever and is obviously lame so a pain reaction would make sense. Have you checked the leg thoroughly for any obvious sign of injury, areas that appear swollen or that she reacts to with palpation?Does she still want to walk and play?Is she able to bear weight on the leg, but just tries not to?If she doesn't have any areas of obvious swelling or injury, and will bear some weight it is likely she has a soft tissue injury.It may be related to nerve root pain associated with the nerves coming off the spinal cord or a muscle pull.The best thing for these is very strict rest. That means no running, jumping, chasing toys and very limited stairs. Those are things that tend to cause the most stress and pain and cause the injury to linger.You can also alternate hot and cold compresses on her neck or back (depending upon which leg is affected) muscles for 10 minutes at a time several times a day. The hot compress decreases muscle spasms and tightening and the cold decreases inflammation.I also recommend putting her food and water bowls up at shoulder height so she doesn't have to reach and strain herself to eat and drink.Watch her for any signs of joint swelling, fever (rectal temperature higher than 103F), decreased appetite, bruising or worsening lameness.She should be much better in 3 to 4 days with a soft tissue injury but I would confine her for at least 2 to 3 weeks and then slowly increase her activity level. Soft tissue injuries can take a while to heal.If she remains painful in spite of strict rest and compresses then she should see her veterinarian for an examination, possibly radiographs of her neck, back and affected leg, anti-inflammatory medication and pain medications. If she is miserable this weekend and you cannot have her seen the only over the counter anti-inflammatory that can be used in dogs is buffered, enteric coated aspirin (like ascriptin). Aspirin does cause stomach and intestinal irritation and ulceration as well as clotting problems so should not be given for more than 2 to 3 days consecutively and should always be given with a meal.If you choose to use it watch for lack of appetite, vomiting, blood in the stools or dark tarry stools and stop immediately if you see those. Do not use aspirin if your dog has liver or kidney disease, is taking any other drugs for arthritis, or a history of a sensitive stomach or clotting problems. The dose for aspirin is 5mgs to 10mgs per pound of body weight orally every 12 hours (about one half of a 325mg aspirin for a 15 to 30 pound dog every 12 hours). Always give with a meal. Do not use for more than 2 or 3 days.Be aware if you choose to use aspirin and it doesn't help your veterinarian will be limited on what they can prescribe for her as there must be a 5 to 7 day washout period between different nonsteroidals or nonsteroidals and steroids.Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian