Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have a 1 1/2 yr old Mi-Ki she is a runt very finicky. She

Customer Question

I have a 1 1/2 yr old Mi-Ki she is a runt very finicky. She has had a weeping eye this week end, I have multiple sclerosis plus been very bad cold, and haven't given her the attention to her she needed. I feel so bad. She is my therapy dog, and I have failed her. her eye is cloudy. I boiled water and put 1/4 tsp boric acid into it-let it cool. I have poured this into her eye twice. There is no vet for 10 hours. 8:00 pacific standard time. I am wondering about her temperature and what I can give her if it is elevated.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jewel
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jewel?
Customer: She at one time at 7 mo got down to 1 lb 4 oz and I had to start hand feeding her. Since that time, I have bought another one just to encourage her to eat, and she does great now.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes please call at(###) ###-####
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It sounds like she probably has a corneal ulcer. I would not put any more boric acid in the eye. I would just use a saline rinse or artificial tear drop. Other than that, you may be doing more harm than good. Once you can get to your vet, I would have them do a fluorescein stain test to see if there is a corneal ulcer. If present, they usually start some antibiotic drops to get it cleared up over the next 7-10 days. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about a fever?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
You can check a rectal temperature using a digital thermometer. Normal is 100-102. If > 103, then it's a fever. In that case, some oral antibiotics will probably be needed.