Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My puppy go spayed 2 weeks ago and the vet that did it said

Customer Question

Hi My puppy go spayed 2 weeks ago and the vet that did it said they were dissolvable (we rescued her) the next vet we took her too (our vet) said that the way they did the stitching was very odd and they probably wouldn't dissolve, she said no big deal they would just cut them out when she came in for her 3 mon shots ( next week). While we were there another nurse was looking at it and said she could have a hernia but it was too soon to tell, she still has a small bump where her stitches are and we are concerned esp because of the cost of a hernia
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: not at all
JA: Phew. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: she did get sick in the beginning of the week once but she was eating a lot of grass so we weren't sure she also had diarrhea the same day but hasn't had it since
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your puppy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Where was the spay surgery done, at an animal shelter? Usually most shelters do use dissolvable sutures. How is she acting? Is she eating normally, and playful? Does the bump bother her when you touch it? It is not unsual for a "seroma" to develop on an incision. It is a ball of fluid under the skin and will usually go away on its own in a week or so. If the bump is a hernia ( a hole in the stitches underneath her skin, in her muscles) it should be "reducible", meaning you can push it back in. If this does turn out to be a hernia at the incision site, the shelter that spayed her may repair it at no cost; the shelter where I volunteer would also fix a problem related to a spay they did, for no charge. I think it is more likely this is a seroma, and will go away soon. Definitely have your veterinarian check it out when she is vaccinated next week. If she is playful and eating, and it is not bothering her, she will probably be OK. Let me know if this is helpful and if I can answer any more of your questions. Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the surgery was done at an animal shelter 3 hours away from my house. The person we got her from said they should be dissolvable and when I took her to my vet she said that they did - I believe she said an "outside stitch," which is very uncommon and frankly weird that it was done that way but nonetheless said its no big deal and if they don't go away on their own (which they probably wouldn't) then when we bring her in for her 3 month shots we she could cut them out. before that when the nurse was weighing her and getting her conditions she had mad a comment about the hernia but it had only been 5 days since the surgery so it was too soon to tell.I've been keeping an eye on it and you can rub her belly and she's completely fine but if i lightly touch her she tries to get away. I got pet insurance on her yesterday just to be sure just won't be ready until may 13th
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I would continue to keep an eye on it, and try to get a feeling whether it is getting bigger, or smaller. If she is completely fine, this is may heal and go away soon. As long as she is eating and drinking and normally active, just keep monitoring it. I hope you get good news when you go to get the 3 months shots. Let me know if you have anymore questions, and if this is helpful.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How is she doing?