Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I didn't realize I clicked on chat, but I'm glad you're

Customer Question

Hello. I didn't realize I clicked on chat, but I'm glad you're here. My 10-yr-old medium sized female suddenly (to me) gotten a distended belly, not up near her chest, but lower belly, no appetite, drinking lots of water, and lethargic but bright-eyed. She's kind of pushing like she's trying to eliminate but can't. Her breathing seems normal and right now, she's in her bed lying on her belly. I'm worried.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No, not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She just belched and is not trying or doing any vomiting.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me: What breed is she?Any vomiting, retching, or gagging?Does her lower belly feel hard, firm, or fluidy?Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Her gums are black, no vomiting, no wretching, which she does sometimes after drinking water. My roomie just told me that yesterday on their walk on the riverbank, Keba ran off for a few, then reappeared covered in foxtails. He worked for 15 mins to get them off her coat. Maybe she ate something or swallowed a foxtail? Her belly is soft with what I feel is a bit of distension.I made her an appt for today at 2:30 and I'm praying she has a toothache or something treatable like it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,Now I am glad to hear that you are having her checked today. This is because lower belly distension wouldn’t be what we’d expect from foxtail exposure. Instead, we’d be more concerned about a possible uterine infection if she hasn’t been spayed, organ enlargement (ie liver), or possible fluid accumulation. In regards ***** ***** last concern, we can see this with internal bleeding (a worry if she suffered a trauma when she got away), problems with the heart, liver, and protein levels for our dogs. And I would note that all of these could increase her thirst and could make her feel unwell enough to be off her food.Overall, based on what you have reported, we do have some serious worries. Therefore, we’d want to check her mucus membranes at the inner eyelid. If they are pale/white, we’d want her seen urgently since a bleed would be a concern. Otherwise, once her vet sees her they can check if this is fluid (+/- sample the fluid to determine which issue is present here) and make sure there aren’t any organ enlargements or tumors present. Depending on their findings, they can advise you on treatment and hopefully we can get this reduced for her so we can get her comfortable and back to eating for you. Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again, Now I am glad to hear that you are having her checked today. This is because lower belly distension wouldn’t be what we’d expect from foxtail exposure. Instead, we’d be more concerned about a possible uterine infection if she hasn’t been spayed, organ enlargement (ie liver), or possible fluid accumulation. In regards ***** ***** last concern, we can see this with internal bleeding (a worry if she suffered a trauma when she got away), problems with the heart, liver, and protein levels for our dogs. And I would note that all of these could increase her thirst and could make her feel unwell enough to be off her food.Overall, based on what you have reported, we do have some serious worries. Therefore, we’d want to check her mucus membranes at the inner eyelid. If they are pale/white, we’d want her seen urgently since a bleed would be a concern. Otherwise, once her vet sees her they can check if this is fluid (+/- sample the fluid to determine which issue is present here) and make sure there aren’t any organ enlargements or tumors present. Depending on their findings, they can advise you on treatment and hopefully we can get this reduced for her so we can get her comfortable and back to eating for you. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet