Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I'm not sure if my dog ate a 12 hour Sudafed. JA: IÂ'm sorry

Customer Question

I'm not sure if my dog ate a 12 hour Sudafed.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is***** 35 pounds and almost 5 yrs old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Milo?
Customer: He does have epilepsy and is on zonisamide 100 mg. twice a day.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Unfortunately Pseudoephedrine the main ingredient in Sudafed is toxic to dogs and the 12 hour version would be an overdose for a dog of Milo's size. While there can be no guarantees in my experience a fatality would be unlikely but Milo may well suffer distressing side effects such as hyperexcitability, increased heart rate, tremors and even seizures. 2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the sudafed that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things may be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK { Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs } 3. However if you fail to induce vomiting and any adverse symptoms do occur then you should have Milo checked over by a vet without delay. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long after injestion would symptoms begin?
In my experience you would normally see adverse symptoms start somewhere round the three to four hour mark after ingestion. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how Milo is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the sudafed ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.