PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog had double ear infections- treated with cleaning solution

Customer Question

My dog had double ear infections- treated with cleaning solution and brought him back to the vet after 2 weeks. Next they had me give him Entederm ointment, and said the infection was gone. I did this for 7 days like the vet said. Now his ears are flacky inside and he still shakes his head. I do not know what to do next for him!
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Brody
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brody?
Customer: He is a labradoodle. I think he also has spring time allergies- so wondering if this is it. Usually his eyes get all gooey, byt they are not too bad yet. This usually lasts while things are beginning to bloom- which they are.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Are you still using the Entederm ointment? 2) Any other meds being given?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I stopped using the Entederm ointment after 7 days like the vet said. The 1st time I brought him in the took a sample of his ear discharge and it did not show anything. His ears don't smell
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have him on any other meds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been cleaning the ears and they are pretty clean too
Thank you for the additional information. It sounds like your suspicion may be correct that allergies could be contributing to the flakey skin, shaking of his head and goopy eyes. It wouldn't hurt to try a few days of antihistamines to see if they help. My favorite for medium to larger breed dogs is Zyrtec. It works better than benadryl, in my experience. Here is the dosing information for him: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/It may take 2-3 days before you see improvements, but if the antihistamines are to help you should see improvements in that time. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion?Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dosing information says to give him a 10 mg table twice a day. (He weighs 70 pounds) i just want to make sure this is correct because adult humans who weigh more would only take 1 10mg tablet per day. The label cautions about not taking more than 10 mg per day for humans. Please let me know if I really should to a tablet twice a day. Thanks.
This is correct. Dogs and humans take vasty different dosages. Dogs and humans metabolize medications much differently. To give you an example, there's a medication on the market called Ultram that is for pain. A 150# ***** would take 1-2 tablets each day. A great dane may take 8 tablets or more. It varies greatly medication to medication. Let me know if you have any other questions. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.
Checking in to see how Brody is doing. Did the Zyrtec help with itching?