Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate some senna tablets that was inside a bottle on the

Customer Question

My dog ate some senna tablets that was inside a bottle on the counter...
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jake about a year and a half Brittany spaniel
JA: How old is Jake?
Customer: A year and s half
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jake?
Customer: No he's acting fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. Roughly how many tablets would he have swallowed? 2. How much does Jake weigh { In pounds } ? 3. How long ago might this have occurred { How many minutes or hours ago } ? You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would say less then 10 tablets... Maybe 6 or 8... Jake weighs about 55 lbs he ate them while I was out around an hour ago
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. I have encountered this situation before, Senna based laxatives are not toxic to the dog so even a few should not affect a dog of your one's size very much.2. The worst that would normally happen here would be a transient diarrhoea which would rarely require treatment and would normally pass within a 12 - 24 hour period in any case. 3. However if you want to take every possible precaution then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the senna that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINKI hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how Jake is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Senna tablets ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Jaje is fine and never had diarrhea thanks again
Great news! Thanks for the update, I am so glad he came through this OK ... Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again, Of course I am very glad to have advised you and even more glad that Jake has been unaffected by his experience. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community. Kindest regards, *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Vet_Answers