Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Not eating or drinking lost weight Pinot discharge no fever

Customer Question
ears look good doctors cannot...
Not eating or drinking lost weight Pinot discharge no fever ears look good doctors cannot find anything wrong they want to run blood tests
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 6 years old male Shih Tzu up-to-date on shots
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tai?
Customer: No they were very thorough but they want me to pay almost $1,000 to run x-rays run blood tests because everything else looks great they just can't figure out why he's not eating or drinking he looks dehydrated according to his gums
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
4/22/2016
Dog Specialist: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago
Drhollowayvet
Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am sorry to hear about your pets recent health decline. I am here to help! I also understand that they doctors could not find any external clues to indicate what could be happening internally with your pet. This is very common. As with people most human doctors need to run some kind of testing to gather more information about what is happening with internal organs, the white blood cell count, red blood cell count, glucose levels, etc. This information is vital to getting started with the right treatment to help your pet feel better. I completely understand though that $1K is a bit much just for testing. I will say that not every place charges quite this much and I would recommend perhaps going to a different hospital with more reasonable pricing. Also you don't have to run every test that is recommended. I would start off with a CBC/Chemistry, Urinalysis and X-rays as a baseline. This usually runs around $400-$500 depending on where you go, so that cuts your cost in half. Now we can still discuss your pets specific symptoms to see if I can narrow down any possibilities of what could be going on internally for your pet. How long has your pet not been eating or drinking? When you say not eating is he skipping the entire meal? Or eating very little? What have you offered for food? Any vomiting or diarrhea? - Dr. H
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has stop eating completely in the last 2 days still drinking one time he vomit one time diarrhea regular looking stool yesterday little bright red blood
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes he stopped eating out of hand
Dog Specialist: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago
Ok so bright red bloody diarrhea. This is termed hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. Is he a particularly nervous dog? This could be stress related. Another possibility is pancreatitis. Poor guy.
Dog Specialist: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago
I will try to help you select some specific testing for what I suspect will give us the most answers for his illness. This will hopefully save you a lot of money.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No not stressed pretty lay back
Dog Specialist: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago
Ok. Does he seem tender in his abdomen at all? Does he walk with an arched back or seem uncomfortable?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope the vet just checked all of that and she said everything looks good couldn't find anything other then the gums shoWing dehydration she could not feel any form of a mass or anything she stuck her finger in his rectum she pushed on his belly he did not react to anything as if he was in any pain whatsoever she couldn't not find bruising or anything she said on the outer she seen everything looks good except for his gums so she must run test
Dog Specialist: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago
I understand what you mean about the good physical examination except for dehydration. Unfortunately sometimes we don't get much from physical exam and are forced to run tests. If he is dehydrated then that most certainly should be addressed or he will have a very slow recovery. Both the conditions I mentioned typically won't have many clues on physical examination. Pancreatitis will cause abdominal pain in about 40% of pets, so we have to keep that in mind as well. Ok this is what I suggest you take to your veterinarian for a more tailored diagnostics, instead of running every test under the sun. I suspect 2 conditions may be involved: 1) HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis) or 2) PancreatitisThese two condition can be diagnosed by doing 2 tests. 1) CBC/CHemistry panel 2) cPL snap test This is bare minimum testing that will give us enough information to hopefully make a good decision on how to treat him. I would do both tests to make sure we get enough information. Once these tests are run, the vet should have some inclination as to how to best treat your pet. I am assuming a good antibiotic, probiotic, anti-nausea medicine (i.e. Cerenia) and subcutaneous fluids (to address the dehydration) will be a good starting point.You can give him some Pedialyte (non-flavored) at home to help with his dehydration as well, but Subcutaneous fluids are optimal because they work fast and provide immediate relief that cannot be vomited up by him later.I hope this helps!- Dr. H
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is the estimated cost for those test
Dog Specialist: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago
Let me know if you have any further questions or comments about the recommendations above. I will be more than happy to continue the conversation if needed. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )- Dr. H
Dog Specialist: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago
I would estimate it as being anywhere from $200-$275 depending on your area. Way cheaper than the $1000 estimate you were given before.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks
Dog Specialist: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago
Definitely more affordable and at least we will have some clues as to how best to treat him. His overall care is most important. I would try to get this run today if you can. The longer we wait on his treatment the worse his symptoms will be and if he does have pancreatitis we want to treat this very quickly to increase his chances of getting well.You are very welcome for the advice. I am glad to help.- Dr. H
Dog Specialist: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago
-ending session-
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet