Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

How do I remove the white cap to the catheter end so I can

Customer Question
hook up the line for...
How do I remove the white cap to the catheter end so I can hook up the line for fluids?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
4/22/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Jacustomer, can you send a pic of the item?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It doesn't seem to want to twist off like the IV line end
If you can share a picture or find one online that shows what you're seeing, I will be able to guide you through the process of removal.
One moment here while I make some edits to the picture so you can see what I'm talking about.
One moment here, I'm still typing and making some modifications on the picture so you have directions.
There should be two ways to use this IV catheter setup. First thing to know, the green and white are both ports. Your vet may be using the white port as a plug, but this can be used either way and is most often used as a port. Your vet should have sent you home with some needles or a coupler/plug that goes on the end of the fluid line. The most common color for the one that attaches to the green port is a grey color and the coupler/plug is clear. It may help to send pictures of the fluid setup, too. So, the green arrow denotes a place you can hook up a fluid line with a needle or the coupler, the white arrow shows the same. And the red arrow shows where the white port is actually connected into the IV catheter itself. There should really be little reason to remove the port, unless you were told specifically to do this but that's another way that fluids can be hooked up.
Is there a piece that looks like this in your setup? http://ebid.s3.amazonaws.com/upload_big/7/9/8/1435411864-13799-394.jpg
Did you see the picture that I attached above and the instructions? Did they send any needles? What instructions were you given?
I'm opening the option of a phone call, if that will help you to discuss this over the phone. Sometimes it's easier to convey information this way.
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse