Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate a piece of a rubber fishing lure JA: I'm sorry

Customer Question

My dog ate a piece of a rubber fishing lure
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mufasa 8 weeks
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: It was a small piece
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. Can you give me an idea of the size of rubber lure he swallowed. 2. Do you think he chewed it into bits or swallowed it whole? You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was roughly the size of an adult pinky finger and he swallowed it whole.
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. As Mufasa is such a small dog it may be as well to induce vomiting to try and recover this object as bowel obstruction is a possibility. If you can try this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then you may be successful. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK { Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs } 2. Of course if you fail to recover the object at this stage then it is possible it could just pass through his system without problem. However where the object is not recovered you should monitor Mufasa for symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining and if such occur contact your vet without delay. The danger of course is that this sort of object could cause an intestinal tract blockage or other damage to the intestinal tract. Where a blockage is confirmed then surgery is often your only course of action. 3. But I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me furtherRegards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how Mufasa is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the fishing lure ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mufasa is doing fine pass the piece of fishing lure no problems thanks for your advice
Good news! I was wondering how he was doing, he should be just fine now ... Thanks for the update Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again, Of course I am very glad to have advised you and even more glad that your dog has been unaffected by his experience. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community. Kindest regards, *****