Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

HIs name is ***** ***** he is a Maltipo 3 years old is countspated

Customer Question
and will not eat so...
HIs name is ***** ***** he is a Maltipo 3 years old is countspated and will not eat so I cannot put anything in his food to help him i.e.: Pumpkin I did get a new puppy. Stewie is a rescue and I dont know if he is upset over the puppy. We have had stew
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: for 1 year
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
4/14/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. Be sure and read the important note below before trying any of these methods. If your dog is experiencing constipation on a regular basis you should add roughage to his diet such as canned pumpkin (not pie filling kind) or Metamucil. A spoon full of pumpkin on the dog's food should keep his bowels hydrated and his feces soft enough to pass. A one time use of a spoon of mineral oil on his food can also be used but should not be used all the time. I know that since he doesn't want to eat, these methods won't work at this time but for future reference it might come in handy. There are two methods I use for young puppies, which may work on your dog. I first try lubricating a rectal thermometer and take the puppies temperature. This frequently stimulates the puppy into going. This also works on adult dogs. If this fails and you have a nasal bulb syringe (aspirator), you can put warm water in it and gently squeeze a small amount into the rectum and see if this doesn't help. Be sure to check the hair around the rectum and ensure no dried fecal matter is preventing the dog from defecation. If you find some, you can use mineral oil to loosen the fecal matter and remove it easier. You can use an infant’s glycerin suppository depending on the size of your dog but the other methods are what I recommend you try first. IMPORTANT NOTE If your dog ate a non-food item, bone or rawhide recently or if your dog is experiencing other symptoms such as vomiting, not eating or drinking, severe abdominal pain, the dog needs to see a vet and not treatment for constipation.. The above signs could indicate an intestinal obstruction, which you can read about here:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx The methods I suggested for puppies won't hurt your dog, but if there is no improvement you will want to have Stewie seen to ensure he has not developed an obstruction. You might try some boiled chicken and rice to try and get him to eat a bit. if your dog becomes dehydrated. You can tell by pulling up the skin between his shoulder blades and seeing if it flows back down normally. If it stays tented or is slow to return to normal, your dog is dehydrated and needs fluids immediately and should see a vet as soon as possible. If gums and tongue become pale and not a normal pink color or the rectal temperature is over 103F (101-102F is normal) or your dog becomes lethargic and non-responsive, your dog should also see a vet as soon as possible. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?