Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I'm just very concerned she's not 1 and she's about 8 months

Customer Question
maybe abit older and she's...
I'm just very concerned she's not 1 and she's about 8 months maybe abit older and she's been in with a male dog who hasn't been desexed I'm worried if they may have mated while I was at work she's too young
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: I'm worried that she may get pregnant how do I tell if she's mated cause she's not desexed and she's only a pup
JA: We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
4/13/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Is she currently in season?Was the male trying to mount her or showing lots of interest?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He was sniffing around her area and I'm not sure if she is she's been squatting more than usual but I'm not sure She seems to worked up when I was watching them
Thank you, ***** ***** would note that she would need to be in season for pregnancy to be a concern here. So, if you are not sure if she is, then we'd be best to have her vet check her. If she isn't, we can all breathe a sigh of relief. Though if she is and since you are based in Australia, we have 2 options in this case.First, you have an advantage not available in other parts of the world. This advantage is that there is a injectable abortive treatment for situations like this (where the female would be at risk if she were to carry a pregnancy to term) called Alizin. Therefore, if she has just been mated, you can choose to phone her vet first thing and see if they carry this. If they do, she will need two injections 24 hours apart but if he has impregnated her then this will end the pregnancy before it can cause any issue. Just to note, if you were to delay and not obtain treatment before day 20 of the pregnancy, this treatment would lead to her going into labor to pass the non-viable pups, where as doing so this early will just cause resorption of any cellular fetuses without any labor signs. So, this would be something to do as soon as possible (though you can wait until her vet is open, of course).Otherwise, our other option would be to have her spayed at this time. This would remove the pregnancy along with the uterus and prevent this and all future pregnancies. And this could potentially be a better option if you are keen to have her spayed anyway (since she is old enough and it would make sure this couldn't happen again). This would be again something we'd want to do sooner rather then later but you would just need to ring your vet to make sure they are happy to do this for you and book her in. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: ))

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian