Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My chiewawa got into my Roomates friends meth I think she

Customer Question

My chiewawa got into my Roomates friends meth I think she injested it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: She ate some meth
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lola 6 yrs old
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Please help
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. As with a great many toxins provided the dog is still active and responsive then if you can induce vomiting within the first hour after ingestion then things may be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK 2. While there can be no guarantees if this was just a small amount the chances are you will see symptoms for 24 hours or so and then the dog will slowly recover as the drug works it's way out of her system. 3. Here are some text book numbers to give you an idea of toxicity. At around 0.5 mg of this drug per kg of your dog's bodyweight you might expect to see mild signs of amphetamine toxicity (agitation, hyperactivity, rapid heart rate, panting, muscle tremors). At doses of about 2-3 mg/kg more serious signs start to be seen. 4. Prescription drugs such as acepromazine or chlorpromazine can be given to counteract the effects. Also, a vet can give cyproheptadine (Periactin) orally or rectally dissolved in saline, which may be helpful. 5. If a visit to your vet is not possible for any reason then you can probably buy cyproheptadine without a prescription at a local pharmacy. Here is a link to more about it, including dose rates : LINKI hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning possible meth ingestion ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Vet_Answers