Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 130 lb Ridgeback just swallowed a latex glove....cause for

Customer Question
concern? JA: I'm sorry to hear...
My 130 lb Ridgeback just swallowed a latex glove....cause for concern?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Not that I can think of....thank you!
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
4/10/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long ago did he eat this? Was it whole?Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
About 5 mins ago...has none of symptoms described by you....
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
HELLO???????
Good, I am glad to hear that he hasn't any of these signs.Now I do have a lot to type, so I am going to post in blocks for you. That way you can start addressing this as I am typing.
To start, since this carries a blockage risk and only was just eaten, we can induce vomiting to get it back up and out no. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues...
Otherwise, we could have the local vet remove the glove using their endoscope. Though if those weren't options, we can start some supportive care to get it passing the other way while monitoring him. Specifically, we will want to start him on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will encourage this to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through....
While encouraging passage of this glove, you do want to keep a close eye on him. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to ideally get him to vomit it up and avoid any issue. Any reason we cannot do that and we'd then want to focus on encouraging this glove to pass while we keep a close eye on him. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods but of course any of those signs and a blockage would be a concern and require further action. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- **I hope all is well with your wee one. If possible, I would be grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). This can be done by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page. If you have any lingering questions, please reply tome. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian