Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My 3 1/2 month puppy is a mixed breed that looks like an American

Customer Question

My 3 1/2 month puppy is a mixed breed that looks like an American bulldog/ pit bull that is growing like there"s no tomorrow, He is so strong and playful but no manners. He plays rough and yesterday he started to run into a full leap to get into my lap and again today.
At 32 lbs. he is one big muscle.
My son suggests putting him to the ground like Caesar does on tv to assert my dominance but I"m not strong enough to do that. I am in charge and knows SIT, DOWN, STAY, OUTSIDE. When I say NO he yaps the sound back at me and must be refocused to stop the behavior.
Did I mention I am 77, my husband is 80.
What else can I do??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I would not advise that method of putting him the ground nor would any trainer you talk to. We do not need to rough handle dogs to have them obey us.Saying no does not really do anything for a dog. It is a word used often but is never backed up with what we want them to do instead, so it is like making a sound interrupter, but does not stop the behavior. In some cases such actions make the dog think we are just chiming in on their fun and that is when they get yappy. They do not know, No, it has no meaning to them. Each time the dog comes to you before you give him anything ask him for a sit. Hand him a treat and that can be a piece of his daily kibble if he likes to eat, that will be good enough, but if you have to entice him to eat then use something he would not get at other times such as a Cheerio, a hot dog sliver etc. I would suggest you start clicker training with him so each time he comes to you he knows you are going to ask him to do something before he gets anything from you. I would not pet him , I would not acknowledge him if he is not in a sit stay. I would also suggest that you invest in some mind stimulating toys as a dog needs to work the mind as much as the body. I am going to direct you to links below to help you with clicker training, he is a puppy so only work 5 to 10 minutes at a time or he will get bored and act out. The more you can work these short training's into your schedule the better because he will then see you as being a consistent leader. The clicker cost about 3 dollars in a pet store and a treat bag for your belt to keep on you at all times is about 5 dollars. Aprons with pockets also work well. I hope this has been helpful to you and your experience here was a pleasant one. Please don't forget to rate the service before you leave so the company compensates me for my time.Clicker training/positive method training/ print offhttp://www.clickerlessons.com/ video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm clicker maintaining focus http://www.clickertraining.com/files/auto-eye-contact.pdf