Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I'm ***** *****. I have a 3lb pug-chu mix. This little 6 month

Customer Question

I'm ***** *****. I have a 3lb pug-chu mix. This little 6 month old keeps me up ALL nite whining, up, on, off the bed, barks too loud if I kennel her. Can I request Valium from the vet for her and can a dog this small take this drug occasionally? She is so wired and on a very healthy diet too, that raw diet. I feel like I have a newborn with colic. Help! I'm so tired...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm ***** *****. I have a 3lb pug-chu mix. This little 6 month old keeps me up ALL nite whining, up, on, off the bed, barks too loud if I kennel her. Can I request Valium from the vet for her and can a dog this small take this drug occasionally? She is so wired and on a very healthy diet too, that raw diet. I feel like I have a newborn with colic. Help! I'm so tired...Can I give her anything to calm her down. I've tried that bundle wrap and it did not work.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient. Can she get up on the bed by herself?Is she getting up to go eliminate?Or does she want to play at night?Does she sleep during the day?Is she kenneled during the day?What obedeince training has she had?have you tried anything else besides the thundershirt(wrap)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. on and off the bed.
Yes. She wakes to eliminate.
Yes. She plays harder at night when the other two dogs try to sleep. She jumps, picks, bites at playfully, growls, barks, etc. to wake them up.
She sleeps hard early morning hours and takes a few brief naps during the daytime.
She is kennel trained sometimes when I am too tired to deal with her or she's relieving herself in places for attention I will put her in the kennel for a few hours. She's with me almost 24/7.
obedience has been basic. A little too lenient for my taste.
Only the wrap has been tried.
She does not mess the kennel up when locked in it.
Thanks for all that information. It is very helpful. There are quite a few things you can do to help the situation. One thing is to stop her whining and carrying on in her kennel. it sounds like she has learned that if she whines and barks and scratches, someone will come and let her out. Every time someone lets her out in those circumstances, she learns that is how to be released. So she needs to be taught that is no longer the case. You can do that in a couple of ways. One is to get some ear plugs or earphones if you like listening to music or tv in the evening and using those to prevent hearing her. After a few nights of being ignored, she will start to learn that carrying on will no longer get her out of the kennel. It will take time and likely a week or so but this does work. You can also do another type of training to stop this behavior as well. Start out by leaving the door open and feeding your puppy in the crate. Any treats, put in the crate, so your puppy has to go in to get them and starts associating the crate with good things instead of being contained. Put a few toys in so she has something to occupy herself with. To break the cycle you might want to get him an extra special treat that will keep her occupied for a while. I use those gravy basted chew bones. My dogs will chew on them forever. Then basically, start closing the door. If she cries, you have to let her cry. Don't look at her, talk to her, yell at her, just totally ignore her. When you do anything else you are giving her attention which is what she wants. It doesn't matter if it is negative attention. Once she stops whining and crying and barking for 5-10 minutes, go to the crate and let her out and praise her. As she stays quiet more often, you can extend the time necessary for her to be let out. SHe'll learn soon that hse gets out of the crate when she is quiet. Like I mentioned, the first couple of days may be rough, but this method has worked for me even though for one dog I could only do it when my husband was gone (He couldn't stand to hear the crying). Every one of my dogs voluntarily enters their crates and stay for hours without a peep. Hope this method works for you as well as it has for me over the years. You can also get a bark collar to prevent barking in the kennel as well. They have spray versions if you object to the shock type and they are effective. Another thing you can do is keep her away during the day as much as possible and prevent deep sleeping. Give her a small meal at bedtime so her stomach has something in it and be sure you take her for a 30 minute walk before bedtime. These can help keep her asleep the whole night. Getting a small kong with treat compartment that you can fill with peanut butter without xylitol and freeze can also be given to keep her away a little longer or keep her occupied if she should wake in the night and not wake you up. If she is waking you up to get in and out of bed, then you should put in stairs for her or a ramp. Often a small set of stairs or a ramp is put at the end of the bed for the dog to use to get on and off beds so they do not injure themselves trying to get up and down. It also helps stop the behavior you are seeing with her barking to get up and down. Your vet can prescribe medications and they would likely give you something but would not recommend giving it daily. Often xanax is prescribe for anxiety. The typical dog dosage for Xanax is up to 0.05 mg per pound. The following site will give you additional information about Xanax.http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/alprazolam-xanax If it was just anxiety a dap collar might be used to calm her as well and won't hurt her. They are available at pet stores. Installing a ramp and teaching her the crate is a good place and that barking won't get her released would be better than medications. I would get her obedience trained as well since she seems to be good at manipulation and that may turn into a dominant snappy little dog. Obedience training will help prevent that. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.