PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Louden. Our dog just swallowed a 30 mg extended release

Customer Question

Louden. Our dog just swallowed a 30 mg extended release morphine tablet. She weighs 55 lbs.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She had just exercised. It was 10 minutes ago
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

Have you seen any vomiting?

Am I correct in understanding it was around an hour ago that she consumed this?

At 55 pounds, she's large enough to have received the 30mg extended release morphine tablet and, assuming no adverse reactions are seen because of sensitivity to this medication, she should not have any problems digesting this. We commonly use this medication in dogs her size and they can receive up to 125mg per dose, making 30mg of this medication a low concern.

If you wish to induce vomiting, this can be done roughly 2 hours following a medication consumption. Here are the instructions, use fresh peroxide from an unopened bottle: http://www.sunrisepetclinicaz.com/vomiting.html

I apologize for the delay in receiving a response. Different experts come on at different times. I logged on and saw that you had posted a question and responded just as quickly as I could.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy