Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Are you real?, am I talking to a robot? she keeps looking up

Customer Question
hello are you real? JA...
hello are you real?
JA: No. I'm the Veterinarian's Assistant.
JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: am I talking to a robot?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: she keeps looking up into the air
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: and then licking her paws
JA: OK. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: P 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about P?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/31/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I am a real person. It sounds like your dog is stretching her neck up in the air and also licking her paws a lot. Is this the issue you are writing about? In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is she licking sores or her feet?

Does she have hair loss anywhere including the paws?

Any vomiting?

How often do you feed her?

Approximately how old is she?

Is she spayed?

If not, when was her last heat cycle?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Licking her feet
No hair loss
No vomiting
Feed her twice a day
2 1/2
Yes spayedSo arcs her neck upwards and looks up and around the ceiling like she's stretching her neck - the she licks her paws incessantly then looks back up and continues the cycle

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

This could be a few different things. Paw licking is often the result of allergies, nausea, neurological issues and even thyroid problems. Coupled with the neck streching that could indicate a neurological issue or acid reflux.

I'd start with trying pepcid to see if that helps eliminate the neck stretching and paw licking. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

You should also add a probiotic to her food. You can get some at your pet store. It can help with gastrointestinal issues and nausea as well. The other possibility would be allergies. This can cause paw licking and if there is some inflammation of the airway, you might see neck stretching. If you think your girl is having problems breathing, she should be seen. You could try some benadryl as well. The dosage is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours and see if there is improvement. If there is, you will need to try and figure out what may have changed that caused the reaction such as a new food or treat or cleaning supply. You can read about allergies here:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/word/canine/skin-allergies/

If neither of these suggestions bring any relief, then you will need to have her seen by your vet for testing.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.