Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog keeps crying and s arm seems to hurt m he's not

Customer Question
hi my dog keeps crying...
hi my dog keeps crying and his arm seems to hurt him he's not moving down the stairs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: cooper age 3, almost 4
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: cooper
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cooper is a cavachon a bichon and king charles mix. I came home today and as expecting him to run downstairs and greet me but he didn't. He was upstairs on his bed and eventually came down and when I went to take him out to go pee, he wouldn't walk down the stairs. he just sat on them after walking down 3 steps. he then Slowly step, by step went down and went to the backyard. He peed then came back in and walked back up the stairs very slowly. I had to pick him up and carry him for the last 5 stairs.He was in my sisters room resting on her bed where he likes to sleep and I went to go check on him and turned him over to see if anything was bothering him there. He shrieked and started to cry when i touched his front right arm near his armpit area and moved the arm away from his body.I walked away and he shrieked again. Then, he tried to get off the bed, but was too afraid to jump down because he knew it would hurt him. I then picked him up, and put him on the floor and he walked right into his cage where he is right now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/30/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

I'm sorry no other expert chose to answer your question before now. My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

You will need to look over the paw real well. Look for splinters especially around the pads. Look between the toes for sores or pebbles, redness or inflammation. If you find a pebble or splinter, you can remove it. If you find a sore, then you can treat it by soaking the paw 2-3 times a day with warm water and epson salt, disinfecting with hydrogen peroxide and applying Neosporin or triple antibiotic cream. I would then use a baby sock to keep the paw clean changing as it gets dirty.

You will also want to check the nails. Dogs whose nails have become overly long can have a lot of pain due to the nails pushing the toes back and up. Also check the nails for splits. If you find one split, you should try and cut it back. If it is badly split on most of the nail, you may want to have the Vet do it as there is a chance of some bleeding if the nail is cut too short. Take a clean dry cloth and hold it firmly on the nail tip for 5 minutes straight. You can then use a styptic pencil, corn starch or flour in a pinch to stop the bleeding though. Some people recommend using a piece of a paper bag against the nail to stop the bleeding, or rubbing a candle against the nail so the wax stops the bleeding. You'll want to keep your dog calm as walking around may start it bleeding again.

If none of these things is the cause, then you may need to have it looked at by your vet to determine if a fracture is present or not. The problem may actually be the elbow or shoulder area, so your vet can check that out as well. If there is no bleeding, buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain... Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

If your dog is putting any weight on the leg, that is a good sign. There are a few different things that can cause this. You can read about them here

http://www.labbies.com/dysplasa.htm

Your dog might be having problems with an elbow or with an injury to the wrist area.

If swelling develops, it might indicate carpal hyperextension which you can read about here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/carpal-hyperextension-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Dogs can have elbow dysplasia and Lyme disease can also cause lameness as well. You can read about elbow dysplasia here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/elbow-dysplasia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Unfortunately, you will likely need to have him seen by your vet and have imaging done to determine the problem. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Just a quick followup to see how things are going. I hope ti turned out to be something simple. Please let me know if you found my answer helpful.